L & A maintains a specialized practice in international trade and business. Our attorneys represent domestic and international business and government interests in a wide variety of international matters. Our practice includes traditional international business matters, such as export/import transactions, customs, contracts for international sales of goods and services, sales agency, distribution and franchise agreements. Our attorneys also regularly litigate and serve as mediators and arbitrators in international trade and business disputes. The practice also includes trade policy representation and government affairs work on international free trade agreements.
L & A is pleased to represent clients and provide advice in the following international trade and business areas:
- Export/import transactions
- International sale of goods and services
- Bilateral investment treaties
- International arbitrations
- United States trade remedy proceedings, including Safeguard, Section 301 and Antidumping and Countervailing Duty proceedings
- Concession and off-take agreements in foreign infrastructure projects
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Trade Adjustment Assistance Act
- World Trade Organization policy and dispute settlement
- International economic development
- Trade capacity building programs for state and local governments and small and medium sized enterprises
Clients often need advice and counsel on extra-judicial matters relevant to their business operations. Our government relations practice provides clients with a broad range of local, state, federal, and international services, including lobbying, legislative drafting, congressional testimony, issue monitoring, participation in industry trade associations, and access to government officials for advocacy purposes.
Local, state and federal agencies and departments administer laws, promulgate innumerable regulations, issue interpretative letters and guidelines, and conduct investigations, hearings and other administrative proceedings that directly impact a company’s business. Our attorneys consult on administrative rulemaking, appear before agency and government authorities, and participate in full scale administrative hearings and proceedings. We also provide preventative strategic counseling to clients on compliance with local, state and federal regulations, ordinances and procedures.